Monday, July 4, 2011

Day 8, 1,297 pages read

Phew. I should be fine now. I read my required 272 pages today. It wasn't as hard as I though it would be though. I had a good time reading it too. I remember absolutely loving four when I was younger because of the tournament, and the relationship building between Ron and Hermione. The Quidditch World Cup is one of my favorite scenes in the entire series.

Four is really starting the dark scenes in the series and foreshadowing all of the hardship that is coming for the trio. I actually felt a pang in my chest when Amos mentions Cedric being able to tell his grandchildren that he beat the famous Harry Potter in quidditch, but we all know that that won't ever happen for Ced, the poor guy. At least he wasn't stuck with that awful Cho Chang. Poor excuse for an Asian if you ask me, and I know plenty of wonderful, charming Asians.... It is revealed later by Jo in some article or interview that Cho marries a muggle. I could only let out a victorious laugh as I read that, punching my fist in the air.

 All right, so one thing that absolutely makes me laugh uncontrollably, is the effect Veela have on the men in the books. All of them start acting foolish and saying ludicrous things to impress them. Ron actually says to one that he invented a broomstick that can fly to Jupiter. I guess Malfoy has a way to get to Pigfarts! On a more serious note, Arthur says something that really speaks volumes. During the Quidditch World Cup final, the Veela become angry at the way the game is turning out that they turn into bird like women that throw fireballs. Mr. Weasley says smartly, "And that boys, is why you should never go on looks alone." This is nice to hear, but more disappointing when Bill ends up with Fleur, who is part Veela. I don't see any redeeming quality in Fleur that makes her more than a pretty face, other than she loves the pieces out of Bill. I guess any guy would go weak at the knees for a beautiful girl that loves them so much they don't care if they face was brutally attacked by a werewolf and has ugly scars to prove it. It just disappoints me that Jo would make any Weasley, other than Percy, so shallow.

I love that Colin Creevey has a bigger role in this book, and we are introduced to his younger brother Dennis, who I believe is equally as brilliant as Colin. This cute, funny, tiny kid fell into the lake as the first years traveled over the lake. He was so excited that he didn't even realize he was shivering from the cold of being thoroughly soaked through. This is excitement only increases as he informs his brother that he was pushed back into the boat by something in the water, and Colin tells him that it was probably the giant squid! The two of them are just so amiable that I smile whenever she writes about them. Later on when the students from the other schools arrive Dennis says something so hilarious that I just have to share it with you.
"Something large, much larger than a broomstick- or, indeed, a hundred broomsticks- was hurtling across the deep blue sky towards the castle, growing larger all the time.
'It's a dragon!' shrieked one of the first years, losing her head completely.
'Don't be stupid....It's a flying house!" said Dennis Creevey."

I know that the Moody we are reading about right now is a mad death eater, but man is he friggin' awesome. That Barty Coruch Jr. doesn't mess around son. He done wizard mafia fucked dat Draco Malfoy up! I would like to say that even though you are a mind addled, torturing delinquent, you boy know how to teach snot heads like Malfoy a lesson. Well played, Crouch, well played.

Speaking of Crouch, I find it hilarious that Barty Crouch Sr. can't remember Percy's last name and calls him Weatherby. Needed to be said.

Onto funny quotes. Here a few that stood out for me:
1. This one is about Percy talking about the state of his in-tray if he was gone from the Ministry for five days, and how he was sent a pile of dragon dung before.
"'That was a sample of fertilizer from Norway!' said Percy, going very red in the face. 'It was nothing personal.'
'It was,' Fred whispered to Harry as they got up from the table. 'We sent it.'"
2. This quote appears when the trio overhear Draco about how he was originally going to attend Durmstrang instead of Hogwarts, but his mother didn't want him to be so far away from home, so he went to Hogwarts instead.
"'Ah, think of the possibilities,' said Ron dreamily. 'It would've been so easy to push Malfoy off of a glacier and make it look like an accident.... Shame his mother likes him....'"

That's all for today. I have left off where Harry's name has just been called out of the Goblet of Fire. There will be a lot of Ron and Hermione relationship analysis tomorrow. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment