Friday, July 8, 2011

Day 11/12, 2,169 pages read

Sorry for not posting yesterday. I was with Carola, and she once again allowed me to watch those Koreans most of the day so I only read about 150 pages. We tried kimchi as well, and we didn't really like it. It was not as good as I had hoped, but there are things that are bound to disappoint us in life, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix not being one of them. I absolutely love this book. There is so much going on, but there is never a dull moment. The comedy is always there to make it all better.

Onto funny quotes:
1. When Mrs. Black's portrait is howling at Sirius. "'Yoooou!' she howled, her eyes popping at the sight of the man. 'Blood traitor, abomination, shame of my flesh!'"
2. When the group talks about Kreacher bawling when Sirius won't let him take a Black family crested ring up to his room. "'It was my father's,' said Sirius, throwing the ring into the sack. 'Kreacher wasn't quite as devoted to him as my mother, but I still caught him snogging a pair of my father's old trousers last week.'"
3. This one isn't funny, but it is a total deserved slap in Umbridge's face, and I love it too much to leave it out. When McGonagall is continually interupted by Umbridge in her inspection. "'I wonder, said Professor McGonagall in cold fury, turning on Professor Umbridge, "how you expect to gain an idea of my usual teaching methods if you continue to interrupt me? You see, I do not generally permit people to talk when I am talking.'" BAM!

Ok so in the beginning, I noticed that Aunt Petunia wasn't talking about James when she mentioned that she heard that awful boy telling her about the dementors. She was actually talking about Snape, but we don't know that yet, do we?

A bit of Ron and Hermione analysis here. Percy sends Ron that pompous letter encouraging him to sever ties with Harry. Ron proceeds to rip up the letter furiously and throw it in the fire. "Hermione was looking at Ron with an odd expression on her face. 'Oh give them here,' she said abruptly." She means their homework. She then helps the two of the boys with their work. I believe we have just seen the beginning feelings of love sprouting in Hermione's heart for Ron. She sees his true feelings for Harry, and I believe that speaks volumes to Hermione. The two are also bickering a lot more with each other in this book as well.

So Umbridge hates half-breeds. I wonder what happened in her youth that made her so afraid of them. I hope it was something terrible....

This thoroughly outraged me, and it just goes to show you how far the Ministry is going to try to dampen the name of Albus Dumbledore and anyone who is affiliated with him. " "' Hogwarts is a school, not an outpost  of Cornelius Fudge's office,' said Madam Marchbanks. 'This is a further disgusting attempt to discredit Albus Dumbledore.' (For a full account of Madam Marchbanks' alleged links to subversive goblin groups, turn to page 17)." " Look at how they discredit her name and what she says by saying that she was involved in rebellious goblin groups. This is utter nonsense. This woman is an older witch and has probably been on the Wizengamot for just as long as Dumbledore, and I don't blame her for resigning once that whole High Inquisitor business was put through.

I hate Dolores Umbridge. I'm sure every other Harry Potter reader does too, but I have so much rage pent up in me over this character that I'm pretty sure that I hate her a lot more than the boys do. Just look at this quote. She says this to Harry when only she and him can hear, thus showing her true colors, and I'm sure her polyjuice essence would be the color of dark putrid green. "'Oh no,' said Umbridge, smiling so widely that she liked as though she had just swallowed a particularly juicy fly. 'Oh no, no, no. This is your punishment for spreading evil, nasty, attention-seeking stories, Mr. Potter, and punishments can certainly not be adjusted to suit the guilty one's convenience...'" That bitch.

Mistake in the book! It says on page 338 in the U.S. hardcover edition that Colin and Dennis Creevey attend the first D.A. meeting in the Hog's Head, but Dennis is only a second year. What is he doing in Hogsmeade? Either it is a mistake, or Dennis is a lot smarter and more gifted than he seems. I choose to believe the latter, just because he is a Creevey brother.

That's all for now. I've got a day of catching up to do, but I have all day to read, so I might be finishing Order of the Phoenix tomorrow. We'll see! Cheers.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh! Good catch about Snape telling Petunia about dementors, I had forgotten. And nice work with that mistake as well. The worst part about Umbridge for me is the way she treats Hagrid during his inspection. OOOHHH makes me wanna throw the book. xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey now, Siwon's in Ravenclaw, remember?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! I'm sorry Kelsey! I completely forgot about poor Siwon. Next time something reminds me of K-Pop, I will put it in there just for you! :D

    ReplyDelete