Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day 16, 3,341 pages read

I've finished HBP, and I am about to start DH, but I wanted to make this blog all about Dumbledore. I'll keep it short and sweet, as he always did with his start of the term speech.

I was reading the scene where Dumbledore dies, and it occurred to me that the last important thing he said was absolutely astounding. "'No Draco,' said Dumbledore quietly. 'It is my mercy, and not yours, that matters now.'" He is talking of how even though Draco has taken his wand, Dumbledore knows that he will not kill him, and he is trying his hardest to keep it that way, not so that he can live, so that Draco's soul remains pure. It is Dumbledore's mercy that will save Draco from committing murder, and he makes sure of this, by having Snape kill him, ensuring Draco will be left 'whole'.

In the words of Hagrid, "Great man, Dumbledore."

No comments:

Post a Comment