Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 1, 495 pages read

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone/Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Hello there. Here I will be putting my own spin on the Harry Potter books as I re-read them before the eighth and final Harry Potter movie is released. I have only eighteen days to do so, but I have already finished the first book and am halfway through the second, so I am feeling pretty confident that I will accomplish this feat.

Book 1:

I picked up number one remembering how the first time I heard the story was listening to it on tape in my fourth grade classroom. It was a great story then, and over the years it has aged along with me. After reading all of the books later in the series, I can look and see how the eleven year old Harry will become a teenager, and eventually become a man. It truly is symbolizing the end of my childhood as the movies come to a close, but I will always have the evidence that I was a happy child sitting on my bookshelf. I partly plan on never growing up fully, but how can you when you will always want to dress up and pretend with your friends that you are in fact witches and wizards. I'm sure that my friends all know this to be true as they gladly attended my eighteenth birthday party to do just this, so friends we will always have this magical experience with us. This way Harry Potter will never come to an end for us. He will live on in our hearts and possibly in the hearts of our future children.

Enough with the sappy stuff. Let's get done to the goods. Wow is number one boring in the beginning. Those Dursley's are just so savagely mean to poor Harry. The whole first three chapters i was wishing for Hagrid to show up and save him. Once he did I was fine, and got into the swing of Jo's writing style and was practically tearing through the book. One thing I really appreciated was the introduction of Draco in the book. She made him a proper git in my opinion and that was something the movie only succeeded at partially. There is no way in the books that Draco could ever be seen as attractive, but in the movies he's seen as a cold mysterious boy, and of course when he got older, girls were fawning over him and eventually pairing him and Hermione together in fan fictions, which is a BIG no no in my book. Anyway, Jo has a good way of showing a character's true colors with harry's first meeting with them, and I appreciate that as a reader.

Right now I can't think too much on the first book as I am currently reading the second and have too much of that plot line swirling around in my head, but one thing I am really paying attention to this time through is the relationship between Ron and Hermione. In one there is not much to go on to show that the two will eventually get married and have two children, but there are a few cute moments with them together. One, the troll incident. Two, when Ron is whacked across the head by that chess piece. The two of them already resemble Molly and Arthur, but Ron is a little less like his father at this point because one, he is a stupid immature boy, and two he is not in love with her yet.

Book 2:

Before I never really liked Chamber much, possibly because Jo never liked it much herself, but on this read through I am enjoying it a lot more than I have in the past. The trio is a year older and a year wiser, maybe not Ron, but Hermione makes up for him I guess. This mystery story is a lot better than the first, but it has less action involved and the book tends to fall into plot line slumps, however characters like Neville, Lockhart, and Colin make up for it by a long shot. One character who I believed should not have died was Colin, but we will go into a long debate about that when that actually happens, but while he is still breathing in book form I shall cherish his enthusiasm and bravery. The little guy actually mouths off to Draco as quick as a whip when he wants Harry to sign a picture of him to show his dad. So funny Neville moment. I think this guy is so amiable and likeable. Jo really wrote a winner here. So anyway, because of the attacks on muggleborns in the school, fake amulets and other protective devices were being sold by the older students to the young ignorant ones who were frightened out of their wits. Of course poor Neville will buy something. The other Gryffindor boys tell him that he was fine without them already because he is pureblood, but Neville, bless his soul, has already thought about this fact. He responds with, "They went for Filch first, and everyone knows I'm almost a Squib." I had to set the book down and laugh for a while before I could continue, and I didn't get too far after that and stopped on the next page. So the trio are about to steal polyjuice potion ingredients from Snape, and that is where I have left off for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment